150 Years and Still Going Strong

Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church – Thomasville, NC

More than a century has passed since Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church had its humble beginning in a little one-room church in 1867.  The membership was small (members of some six families) but they began a lasting tradition for our church as they grew both in number and Christian love and fellowship.  In 1926, the white frame church that many affectionately recall, was completed and served the community for many years.  In the 1960’s, building resumed with a large educational building, a picnic shelter, and our first parsonage being built, followed by the beautiful new sanctuary in 1970.

As the years passed, many and varied needs arose which were supported with finances and devoted service.  In 1993, the spacious new fellowship hall was completed and ready for use.  A special accomplishment in 2003 was the building of the new parsonage.  In 2005 the “Come Alive at 8:35” Early Worship Service began.  In 2006, the Western North Carolina Conference assigned Rev. Christopher Clontz and his wife Amanda to our church.  Chris has a spiritual enthusiasm which is contagious and God is doing amazing things at this growing Thomasville United Methodist Church.

Recently we have remodeled our sanctuary, purchased a new church bus and storage building and renovated bathrooms in the children’s educational wing.  In 2013, the “9:45 Catalyst” Worship service began.  Another facility expansion facility expansion is currently in the planning stages.

Carrying on the tradition set by that little one room church in 1867, we continue to grow in number and Christian love and fellowship.  We look up with thankful hearts to our Heavenly Father, praising Him for all of His bountiful blessings on Mt. Pleasant.  We look back with a deep sense of gratitude to the dedicated Christians through all those years for their faithful service that made our church what it is today.  We look forward with faith, hope and great anticipation for continued growth and spread of the gospel and love of Jesus Christ into our community and world.

Learn more at: 150 YEAR MTP HISTORY